Baby Quilt DONE in record time

I started this quilt on Wednesday.  I got two blocks done and took a break.  Thursday afternoon I sat down to finish it.  12:30am Friday morning and this baby was done!  This is the “cubby holes” block.  I’m really happy with the way this turned out.  I would have gotten it done in less time if I hadn’t goofed.  Several times.  First, I threaded my machine wrong and ended up with a “birds nest” on the back side.  So I had to pull all that out.  Then I decided, since it’s such a small quilt, that I wouldn’t baste it.  I would just pull it flat as I went.  Guess what folks?  That does NOT work.  I quilted 4 lines and it looked terrible.  So I had to pull all that out.  I thought I would lay it out across my kitchen table to baste it, but I have a round table and that didn’t work too well.  Finally, I decided on the kitchen floor.  I thought the best way to pull the layers really tight and flat would be to tape them.  I couldn’t find any tape other than duct tape.  That’s right!  I duct taped my quilt to the kitchen floor to baste it.  I should have taken pics…  In my defense, it was BLUE tape, not the super sticky silver kind.  THEN… after I had the entire top, batting, and backing all pinned together with safety pins, I pulled it off the floor and started quilting.  Simple straight lines.  I got all the lines done in one direction.  Flipped her over and started in the other direction.  I needed to pull a pin out.  DOH!!  I sewed over all the pins.  Not thinking while I was doing that, that I wouldn’t be able to pull them back out.  I’m used to using straight pins to hold things in place and just sewing right over them.  Well I got creative and was able to pull all of the safety pins out from under the thread by wiggling them and pulling the threads up some.  I only had to snip in one place.  Yay!  I didn’t have to take ALL that stitching out and start over.  Lesson learned.  I got the quilting finished and started on the binding.  I used this method: http://www.patchworktimes.com/2009/06/05/binding-vide/  It didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped, but it was quick, easy, and it looks decent.  I think with more practice I can make it look better.  I believe I cut my binding a smidge too big because I had some areas with way too much “overhang.”  Anyway, it’s finally done and on its way to my cousin who will be bringing a beautiful baby girl into this world on Monday morning.

Baby Rylee's Quilt

Advertisements

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. John
    Feb 07, 2010 @ 21:01:48

    So many strange/unusual usages for words.
    Basting — not a turkey
    Batting — not an activity in baseball and softball
    Overhang — I think I get this one from my belly and jeans. LOL.
    Andyway there is much more to sewing than a needle and thread. I can tell!
    Please post a picture of the baby swaddled in your blanket.

  2. Amy McGrady
    Feb 08, 2010 @ 05:41:18

    As soon as she sends me a pic, I promise to post it for you. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: