Wow I’ve really let time slip by!

I’ve been super busy lately with school, Red’s softball, and Hurricane just being a busy toddler.  My sister’s baby shower is 2 weeks away and I never started on her baby quilt! Eeek!  I kept thinking “I’ve got time.”  Well, now I don’t have time!  These are the designs I drew up and played around with a while back.

Baby quilt sketches

Baby quilt sketches

I finally decided on this one, then started doing some math (these are the unfinished notes btw)

Final sketch and notes

I chose the background fabric, made my template, then chose the pink and brown fabrics (not shown.)

Template and background fabric

I’ve enlisted the help of Red to cut out all the pieces.  Now I’m trying to decide if I want to really push myself and try to get all this applique done by hand and still have time to hand quilt it (in TWO weeks!) or just go ahead and machine stitch and quilt it.

I’m thinking since I start a new job on Monday, plus finals, plus whatever comes up, I may need to go ahead and do it by machine so that I can get it done in time.  I’ll update with pics as I make progress.

Advertisements

Getting more wear out of the toddler clothes

Hurricane Leila is growing like a weed.  Like all kids do.  The weather has changed here and we won’t be needing those long sleeves anymore.  They won’t fit next year and I hate to throw them out.  So I decided to make short sleeves out of them.  I looked on the web and found a great tutorial HERE.  I did two of the shirts in this way.  Now, I’m no seamstress.  I can quilt accurately and can eyeball a 1/4 inch seam from 20 paces, but clothes…. oy.  The above linked tutorial was super easy to follow.  If I can do it, anyone can!  After the first shirt turned out so well, I dug out some more.

These are the two that I did following the tutorial:

Before

After

Before

After

I had these two shirts that looked like two shirts. All I had to do was unstitch the long sleeve and leave the top, short sleeve in.  Took 10 minutes for both shirts. Easy peasy!

Before

After

Before

After

Then there was this shirt.  One of my favorites.  It has a pair of matching black pants with a little ladybug at the bottom of one leg. 

Before

See that red ruffly part at the end of the sleeve? I really wanted to save that and incorporate it into the short sleeve.

Sleeve before

So I played around with it some and ended up with this.  I am very happy with the results and kinda impressed myself lol.

After

Sleeve after

Last, but not least, this shirt gave me fits.  I couldn’t get the sleeves to behave.  I don’t know if this knit is somehow different from the others, or what.  The bottom of the shirt is serged and frilly and it will not lay down no matter how much I iron it.  It curls up.  The sleeves wanted to act the same way after I cut them.  So finally I gave up.  They can just roll up.  The sleeves will match the bottom of the shirt.  It looks terrible in this pic, but I’m hoping after a couple wearing and washings it will be fine.

Before

After

So now Hurricane has a wardrobe to carry her through the Spring months.  Most of the shirts above have matching pants.  Two of them don’t, but no big deal, she has shorts to wear.  When the weather gets really hot, I may attempt turning her pants into capris or shorts.  That’s for another day.  I may just become a seamstress yet.